Tuesday, August 26, 2008

dairy-free strawberry "ice cream"

Ok, so I know it's not knitting related, but I just can't keep up with multiple blogs at the moment, so you will have to put up with my food and other various interests from time to time.

I eat a pretty strict paleo diet, which means protein, certain vegetables, certain fruit, but no dairy, grains, etc... I am less strict from time to time and indulge in veggies (my favorites are eggplant, peppers, tomato, yes, ok, it's a fruit, and other things, even a little goat cheese) but for the past few months, and in the foreseeable future those are off my list b/c they seem to upset M greatly. Baby gets a rash, fussy, gassy, etc, etc. It sucks. But, it does keep me on track when I would surely fall of and binge if it was only my own health being affected.

Anyway, I REALLY, really, really miss yogurt and ice cream, and so far I have not been able to make coconut milk yogurt (though I hear it is possible), but today I successfully made the first truly awesome healthy treat I have had in ages! I was transported back to a time when I could enjoy a lovely personal container of haagen daz while strolling down Broadway with friends. sigh...

I just used a cheap electric ice cream maker and followed the directions (not their recipe, but once I put my "mix" in I followed their directions) and then froze in the freezer after reaching soft serve state in the maker. It does get awfully hard in the freezer, but if you chip it out and let it sit in your serving dish for a couple minutes it transforms back (magic!) to creamy amazing deliciousness.

2 cans native forest coconut milk

1 bag trader joe's frozen organic strawberries, thawed at room temp and mashed up by hand before opening the bag

4 tablespoons sugar free vanilla davinci syrup

mix these ingredients in the ice cream maker then start it and let it run according to directions. When the mixture sets up and is soft serve consistency transfer it to a container to store in the freezer. That's it!

The sugar free syrup is obviously not paleo, but I like to keep the carbs real low so it works for me, but if I was going to make a batch to share with anyone who doesn't want any artificial sweetner I would try honey or agave syrup, or maybe actual sugar. I know some hard core paleo people are so used to no sweetner of any kind that they would be happy with just the berries and coconut milk, but I've tried it both ways and this is better. (for my taste)

I am 75% done with my bog jacket, but have not been able to continue working on it for a few days b/c my options cable popped apart. :-( Thankfully Denise will lend me a set of 60 inchers next sip & knit. (Thank You Denise!) I think I will have to call KnitPicks about this, I have had it happen to a fixed needle as well, maybe they will send replacements? hmmm. They have always been prompt and awesome the other 2 times I had product problems.

Anyway, I was so annoyed about having to stop my bog jacket progress that I couldn't bring myself to pick up any other WIP's that needed finishing off. (I don't know what my problem was, I just wanted to knit what I wanted to knit) So, I started a new one. (makes perfect sense right?) I cast on my first PI Shawl Friday night, worked on it over the weekend and am past the 5th increase. I tried inserting a lace pattern at the 4th increase but had to rip back after a couple rows b/c I was totally unable to keep track of what I was doing with putting the knitting down every 6 stitches or so to rock M, or nurse, or tickle chubby little feet, etc. SO, I inserted lifeline, went on knitting plain, and now am thinking about some sort of "make it up as I go along/can see what I am doing whenever I pick it" up kind of lace I could put in for the last increase. We shall see.

Well, it is getting late, I must sleep. Will check back later.

No comments: